Dr Ali is counsel at Eltumi Partners. A renowned litigator, Dr Ali has established a heavyweight career in legal practice and academia and, in his work to date, has tackled some of the most complex questions of Libyan law in commercial and civil contexts. His high win rate in contentious matters at the firm testifies to his abilities. A keen intellect, his nous for manoeuvring dispute strategy and argument has led to impressively successful outcomes for the clients he represents, and this ability has been supported by his extensive experience as an arbitrator in civil and commercial disputes.
His analytical eye and sharp strategic instinct have benefited our clients in a number of cases, and he is equally adept at applying his knowledge and precise, analytical style to advisory matters. He brings his academic experience to bear in his work for the firm, providing incisive legal analysis with practical and commercial objectives always at the forefront.
Dr Ali joins other senior members of the firm in creating a supportive, collaborative atmosphere, that supports the continuous professional growth of our junior members, who benefit also from his deep practical and academic knowledge.
Based in our Tripoli office, Dr Ali is fluent in Arabic and has a working knowledge of English. He is a qualified lawyer in Libya.
Representative experience includes:
- A Libyan bank in defence of a claim for compensation by a major international bank in relation to a dispute arising from a bank guarantee.
- A major international engineering company in relation to a contractual dispute with its former Libyan general manager, before the Libyan Court of Appeal.
- A major Libyan state entity on the incorporation of a new Libyan joint venture company and the restructuring of related debts and guarantee arrangements.
- A major multilateral development bank in relation to advice on the legal and regulatory framework in Libya for the development of infrastructure and PPP projects.
- An international power company in relation to defence against various employee claims for unlawful termination of contract and dismissal.
- A major infrastructure developer on various corporate law issues.
- A British oil engineering company in relation to a multi-million dollar unpaid invoices dispute before the Libyan courts.
- A major international engineering firm in relation to labour and civil law litigation before the Libyan courts.
- A MENA trading business in relation to termination of distribution contracts under Libyan law.
- LLB, Libya Open University
- LLM (Private Law), Almurqab University
- PhD (Private Law), University of Tunis El Manar
- Member of the Libyan Bar Association
Awards and Associations
- Notable Mention; Legal 500 EMEA 2023.