Ahmed is a partner at Eltumi Partners. With a preceding, highly regarded international career in the energy sector as in-house counsel, Ahmed brings significant depth of knowledge and experience to the Eltumi Partners team. His career has played out at some of the biggest names in the energy industry, both in Libya and internationally, where he honed his legal and commercial skills and acumen advising on a range of major Libyan and international upstream and downstream projects.
Formerly General Counsel of the Libyan National Oil Corporation and of the European Oilinvest Group, Ahmed is an established and highly respected international energy lawyer and has worked across Libya, the Middle East and Europe. His in-house experience means that Ahmed knows what clients expect from external counsel and is equally comfortable advising chairmen, CEOs and boards of directors on the key legal, commercial and strategic aspects of major corporate decisions.
In addition to complex energy project work, such as working on European pipeline projects and the shutdown of a major oil refinery on the continent, Ahmed’s unique understanding of energy economics saw him develop Libya’s EPSA IV model contract and bidding rounds that attracted billions of dollars of inward investment from major international upstream players. His experience was brought to bear in negotiating Shell International’s licencing for operations over the USD 38 billion barrel “super-giant” Majnoon oilfield in Southern Iraq.
Clients benefit from Ahmed’s deep experience in multi-jurisdictional matters, and his application of a solution-oriented mindset to the most complex of issues. He assists clients in corporate M&A deals, day-to-day business operations including compliance related issues, as well as regulatory matters such as international sanctions, data-protection and tax structuring matters.
Ahmed’s skillset adds further depth and dimension to the energy and infrastructure expertise of the Eltumi Partners team, combined with his positive, welcoming approach which aligns with the firm’s goals of working as a trusted partner to our clients and creating a constructive atmosphere in which to train the next generation of Libyan legal talent.
Ahmed is fluent in English and Arabic and has a working knowledge of French. He is a qualified lawyer in Libya.
Representative experience includes:
- Work on the Majnoon Oil Field project, one of the largest upstream oil projects in the world with an estimated capacity of 38 billion barrels.
- Leading on negotiations for the closure of an oil refinery in Switzerland.
- A major European energy company in relation to the acquisition of an equity interest in a German hydrogen logistics business with EU-wide operations.
- A major European energy company in relation to the structuring of a new joint venture entity to provide EU-wide hydrogen supply services to the logistics sector.
- A major European energy company in relation to the acquisition of a drilling company incorporated in the Cayman Islands, through a Bahraini structure with operations in Libya.
- The National Oil Corporation of Libya in relation to the development of the EPSA IV model.
- The National Oil Corporation of Libya in relation to the first and second EPSA IV bidding rounds, including the negotiation and closing of a number of EPSA IV contracts.
- A major European energy company in relation to the development of a compliance code of conduct and an authority matrix.
- A major European energy company in relation to proceedings against the enforcement of an ICC arbitral award against its assets.
- LLB, University of Rabbat
- MSc (International Shipping Law), University of Cardiff
- Member of the Libyan Bar Association